Since the beginning of America (and before), bells have been used to call citizens to worship, start the school day, fight fires, warn of approaching vehicles, mourn, celebrate, etc. At the end of WWII in 1945, bells in every town, city and hamlet across America rang in grateful celebration.
The Freedom Bell located in the WWII Jeep trailer was first used in Maine by the Coopers Mills Baptist Church. After WWII, the church discontinued its services and it reverted to the American Baptist Churches of Maine who donated the bell to the museum in 1995.
This bell rang continuously as it led the giant parade from Brewer to Bangor over the Penobscot River’s 1-395 Veterans Remembrance Bridge on Veterans Day, 1995. Since 1998, it leads WWII veterans in all greater Bangor area’s annual patriotic parades – Memorial Day, Independence Day and Veterans Day.
Time permitting; students with the supervision of museum staff can ring this Freedom Bell.